Erik's Reviews > Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World

Preacher, Volume 2 by Garth Ennis

M 50x66
Mar 11, 2009

Back on the road after their exploits in Gone to Texas, Jesse Custer and friends cruise their way through the rural hinterlands of eastern Texas near the Louisiana border, only to be captured by Jesse’s twisted relatives on his late mother’s side. What ensues can only be described a cross between Deliverance and the (questionably) autobiographical A Child Called It. Once that story-arc wraps up, it’s off to city of the Golden Gate, where our oh-so-lucky crew gets caught up in the nefarious plot of the two-millennium-old secret organization called the Grail – whose origin I’m sure you can figure out if you’ve read or seen The Da Vinci Code – as well as the depraved parties organized by the pale-skinned Jesus de Sade. All of which will leaves me wondering, “Is Ennis some kind of brilliant pervert on crack?”

While I’m clearly enjoying Custer’s circuitous journey to find and confront our Father-who-art-in-Heaven, I can’t help but feel like a voyeur who is forced to rubber-neck his way through the sordid and perverted lives of the most depraved souls crawling and exploiting their way across our planet. My only assurance: Thank god this is only fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preacher, Volume 2.