Christine's Reviews > The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature

The Earth Path by Starhawk

Jul 02, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-own, ecopsychology, paganism, 2010, bioregionalism, mysticism, feminism, ecology, environmental-studies, green-living
Recommended to Christine by: Kate Nash
Recommended for: anyone seeking to deepen their connection to nature
Read from June 30 to July 01, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

The Earth Path is certainly a book written from a Wiccan perspective yet it is one that harbors wisdom for any and all who read it, regardless of their creed. In fact, you could remove all religion from this book and still be left with something wholly spiritual and educational.

Topics discussed within The Earth Path include organic & green living, ecology, ecopsychology, bioregionalism, climate change, activism, evolution, social change, permaculture, feminism (though not in the overt manner one would expect from Starhawk), paganism, earth-centered values and wilderness awareness.

The point of this book is to help people become more aligned and connected (or re-connected) with the thing that surround us all and sustains our well-being: nature. Regardless of what we may think, we are not apart from nature but an integral part within it. Nevertheless, until we realize this fact and balance our lives with nature and everything within it, we will always be apart from it.

"Whenever we are able to live for a moment within that consciousness of the whole, we become more whole, more healed." (pp. 28)

While a good chuck of the book (chapters 7-10) go into great detail on the four elements of Wicca and Ceremonial Magic, and while the spiritual matters listed in these chapters didn’t impact me—because I, as a Gaelic Polytheist, have a different spiritual worldview than that of Wicca—from a scientific point-of-view there’s some great information to be found here. Even if it’s something one knows already, seeing it put from the standpoint of aligning ourselves with nature, it takes on a whole new meaning.

Overall, a fantastic read and highly poignant that I can't believe took me nearly six years to pull off the shelf and finally read.

"Bringing our lives into alignment with the earth should not become a burdensome, guilt-filled project, where are constantly in an unshriven state of eco-sin." (pp. 36)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Earth Path.

06/30/2010 page 76
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Mariah (new)

Mariah I've heard this one is pretty good, even from those who don't normally like Starhawk.

Christine That's what I heard too, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Kate E.A. I'm so anxious to see what you think of this one.

Christine Finished last night; working on writing up a review now :)

Christine Abigail wrote: "Great review, Teresa! Can I ask what "ecopsychology" is?"

Sure you can :) It's a form of psychology based on integration with the natural world rather than with society. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecopsych...