Lindsay Wing's Reviews > The Vampire Lestat

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

Mar 10, 2009

bookshelves: best-books-ever
Read in March, 2009

Obviously, as a tormented, emo teenager, I was way obsessed with this book, and I remembered that a lot of that was based in the fact that I was an angsty 14-year-old. Now, years later, I decided to re-read it for kicks and I have to say that it's still fantastic, and that assertion is in no way based in any stupid self-indulgent fascination with suffering. It's just a beautifully written book. It starts off slow, but the second half is striking and magnificently written. Rice uses some of the most poetic language I've ever read and even though the subject matter is a little bit trite ("oh it's so sexy to be a vampire, yadda, yadda, yadda"), Rice has a particular talent for crafting characters that are fascinating in their psychological acceptance of their un-dead lifestyle, and whose perception of the world around them, as immortals, sheds a fantastically beautiful rendering of our lives as "mortals." This book makes me want to discover the beauty in my own life and experience and to embrace fully the supernatural elegance and grace of our immortal planet and our undying humanity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Lestat.

03/25/2016 marked as: read