Zach Hartzell's Reviews > Rocket Boys

Rocket Boys
Homer H. Hickam Jr.
Genre: Autobiography
Theme: Follow Your Dreams

Sonny (Homer H. Hickam Jr.) is a boy growing up in a cole mining town. His father runs the cole mines and all life in the town of Coalwood revolves around the mining of coal. Sonny is expected by the family to grow up and work in the mines but all we wants to do is design and build rockets. Dr. von Braun's work with Sputnik inspires Sonny and his gang of friends to step outside their normal lifestyles and the town's expectations and follow in his footsteps to build rockets.

Quote: Coalwood, West Virginia, where I grew up, was built for the purpose of extracting the millions of tons of rich, bituminous coal that lay beneath it. In 1957, when I was fourteen years old and first began to build my rockets, there were nearly two thousand people living in Coalwood
-Homer write from first person and describes his life to us through his own eyes. This style of writing helps the reader feel connected to Sonny and what he accomplishes.
-This book would be interesting to anyone over 5th grade both boys and girls who like a longish and realistic read.
Movie of Rocket Boys is called: October Sky

Fun Fact: R O C K E T B O Y S mix up the letter you get....O C T O B E R S K Y
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rocket Boys.