Sean Higgins's Reviews > Why We're Not Emergent

Why We're Not Emergent by Kevin DeYoung

Dec 21, 09

Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

Maybe it's because I like critical/satirical books, but I didn't want to put this one down once I started.

As the authors noted in their introduction, and I agree, it was a good choice for them to rotate chapters. DeYoung (the Reformed pastor) touched more propositions, Kluck (the traveling journalist) told more stories, but both angles helped to provide some shape to the mostly amorphous emergent movement.

The title itself foreshadows their point of view: they find many faults within the emergent camp. That said, they also roast weak-sauce and/or pretentious evangelicalism. But, as the authors point out, the two options are not equal opportunity perils. You could fall into the ditch (extremes within conservative evangelicalism), or you could fall off the cliff (extremes within emergent/emerging liberalism).

We have problems; we should fix them. Many among the emergent group may not have Christ; that's a different story altogether. This is a great, entertaining, self-deprecating and truth-confident presentation.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We're Not Emergent.