Barbara ★'s Reviews > The Resort

1968285
Apr 03, 09

bookshelves: horror, read-2009
Read in April, 2009

This is the one and only Bentley Little book I will ever read. What crap and a waste of money!

I found this book to be a disturbing parody of a horror novel. For inexplicable reasons, the characters all seemed to have Tourette's Syndrome. Out of the blue just blurting out weird sexual idioms and irrelevant comments. The story was very choppily written - just jumping all over the place with no real purpose to this style of writing. I did like the main characters (a family of 5) who where inexplicably surprised at this seemingly innocuous resort that turned into a baffling haunted resort.

The conclusion somewhat explained what was going on but the story was more ridiculous (and stupid) than scary. The author threw sexual elements into the mix that had no baring on the storyline at all. Just reinforced the whole Tourette's thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Resort.

04/02/2009 page 1
04/02/2009 page 188
47.96% "boring and choppy writing."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Smiley You should give Little another shot. I haven't read this book yet, but I'm on my 11th book of his and there have been some really good ones. Try "The House" "Death Instinct" or "The Association." Those were all really good!

Barbara ★ Ok Kim, if I can find one of these at the library I will give him another try. Maybe you should skip this one though.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Smiley someone else just said the same thing to me and I just ordered it online yesterday. Figures! Oh well, I want to be able to say I've read all of his books, and I guess that even includes the ones that aren't that great. Happy reading!

Barbara ★ I hope you'll share your thoughts after you've read it.

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Smiley I definitely will. Right now I'm reading "The Walking" and it is by far the most boring Bentley Little book I've gotten my hands on so far, and this is the 11th book of his I've read. I guess 1 bad out of 11 isn't awful. There's a new one coming out next month, so I can't wait to get that one!