Janice's Reviews > Depletion and Abundance: Life on the New Home Front

Depletion and Abundance by Sharon Astyk

Mar 23, 09

Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

Wow - this book was a real eye opener for me. Not so much the part about needing to be ready in case of a crisis, but more the ways that we can do that. I loved the ease that Sharon used to discussed Peak Oil and Climate without sounding like a text book. Although I don't see my family turning off our electricity any time soon, we have certainly found ways to conserve more. And we are trying to be less wasteful. We are definitely readopting my mother's and grandmother's way of living, "Use it Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without. And our whole family is using our new found inspiration to put a better effort into being self sufficient and preparing for an emergency. I couldn't get on board with some of Sharon's ideas, especially her ideas on what to do about population control. I do think it is something to be aware of, but I think that it should be approached more along the lines of, "how can we make our footprint on the world smaller so that we can accommodate all the people on it" rather than, "there should be rules about how old you are when you start a family and how many children, if any, you should be allowed to have." Also, her housing ideas struck me as extreme, but I do believe that a lot of the "rich world" is living beyond their means, and may need to take such drastic measures. And while I agree with some of her points about income generated from military, it is a hard pill to swallow since that is how my family keeps up our habit of eating. But general speaking, this book was informative, interesting, and for our family, inspiring.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Depletion and Abundance.