Miss Clark's Reviews > Here Lies Arthur

Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve

Mar 10, 09

bookshelves: adventure, fairytale-fantasy-sci-fi-mythology
Read in March, 2009

Fans of the Arthurian legends should enjoy this fresh revisioning. Personally, I think his "Larklight" series is far better.

Almost three stars. A reinvention of the Arthurian myths, with a much more "authentic" feel than most, esp. the Roman and Welsh touches.

Here, Arthur was no hero, no great king. Nothing more than a bully and a tyrant, surrounded by men just as petty and small - minded as himself. It was Myrrddin, the bard, whose stories gave Arthur power and prestige. It was the idea of someone as honourable, powerful, valorous and virtuous as Arthur was said to be that captured the imagination of the people and which allowed them to band together against the Saxons under his leadership, which was Myrddwin's goal all along. It was those stories that he wove and spread throughout the length and breadth of England that are purported to have been the real magic and mystery.

Gwyna is a good narrator, never too whiny, nor is she invulnerable. The book is definitely for older teens in my opinion, given the content which includes affairs, nudity and generally more mature content.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here Lies Arthur.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Well, personally I don't like Arthur very much. He does a lot of bad things (he has affairs, isn't good to his wife, et cetera), and that is why his kingdom falls. But, goodness, Reeve and Arthur? I may have to read this! I love his books! (Grin, grin, grin...) Even if you don't think this is very good... ;)

Miss Clark It is weird, because I have always had a loathing for the Arthurian myths for the same reason, i.e. all the main characters are either stupid, immoral, helpless or all of the above, but I still keep reading books about them, hoping someone will write a better version, one that makes sense and explains peoples' strange fascination with them. The only Arthurian media I actually can enjoy is "Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail."

message 3: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Oh... I love them. But then, I don't care about that sort of thing as long as the story is good. :)

Miss Clark It is strange how much one will put up with or overlook if the "story" is good enough...