Laura's Reviews > Winter in Madrid

Winter in Madrid by C.J. Sansom

Mar 22, 2009

bookshelves: historical-fiction, hf-world-war-ii, read-2009, buddy-read
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie (Goodreads Reader!)
Read in March, 2009

This book speaks as itself, in spite the author doesn't employ Spanish characters.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter in Madrid.

03/16/2009 page 0
0.0% "I hope my book will arrive tomorrow in order to start discussing with Lee later on."
03/18/2009 page 0
0.0% "It will arrive today, I am so excited to start read...." 4 comments
03/18/2009 page 67
12.2% "Just started. So far so good."
03/20/2009 page 110
20.04% "The story is quite interesting."
03/22/2009 page 440
80.15% "It is hard to put down..."

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee So? Do you have it in your hot little hands yet?

Laura Just started, so far so god.

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I found it took me a while to get into it but I'm enjoying it now. I might have to do a little research into all of the political parties in Spain.

Laura I think the hirtorical background quite interesting. In my oppinion, the only author´s fault is not take Spanish characters.

message 5: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I'm really enjoying the political history too Laura. I'm learning a lot.
That's a good point about the Spanish characters, they are all peripheral. Maybe the author feels he can more accurately portray the English point of view.
I stayed up really late reading last night!

Laura I agree, it is hard to put it down. I like the way the author writes the story, he keeps our attention full time, so lovely.

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Laura, I finished the book last night and wrote my thoughts in my review. I added a spoiler alert because I mentioned a few things about the ending that I didn't want you to see until you were ready. :-)

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I agree, it is hard to put it down. I like the way the author writes the story, he keeps our attention full time, so lovely."

Dear Laura - totally off topic - do you knit or sew?

Laura Dear Bettie: none. Why??

Laura Lee, I won't read your comments until I finished, I hope this evening.

message 11: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I put a spoiler alert on my review so you wouldn't inadvertently read anything. I think it would be a good idea to ignore all the comments below the review as well because Bettie and I have continued the discussion. Happy Reading! I look forward to hearing what you think.

message 12: by Bettie☯ (last edited Mar 22, 2009 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "Dear Bettie: none. Why??"

I was musing about having a book/yarn shop where I would staff it with people who are like minded - it's all hypothetical but I would have liked to think of your good self being on board.

:O)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads She could "work" the book side!

Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "She could "work" the book side!"

you are right of course, but I dom't think too much work would be done by any of us if this was a real venture.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Oh, surely you jest!

Laura I can make some delicious cakes!!!

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I can make some delicious cakes!!!"

Bargain! - you are on the team for sure

Laura Hip hip hurra!!! LOL

message 19: by Laura (last edited Jun 19, 2013 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura thanks TA, Ged, Wanda