Preeti's Reviews > Goddess for Hire

Goddess for Hire by Sonia Singh

Mar 10, 09

bookshelves: desi-authors, chicklit, humor
Read in August, 2004, read count: 1

I saw this book randomly at Borders and remembered it being mentioned on Dev's site, so I thought I'd pick it up. The cover was pretty (yeah, yeah) and it sounded like it would be pretty funny.

I finished the book in about two and a half hours. It was such an easy read! And it was hilarious! So many funny one-liners and memorable conversations. While I was reading I kept pausing to read some stuff out loud to my sister, who then commented, "What, are you gonna read the whole book to me?" I couldn't help it - and I kept laughing out loud every few minutes.

The buildup of the story was great. But I gave it a lower rating because I felt that towards the end, things started happening way too quickly. Abruptly is the right word. The events kept speeding by, one after the other, at a supernatural pace, which I didn't feel was very realistic.

Despite that, the book was absolutely delicious.

From the back cover:

"A hip chick from Newport Beach, California, who's just turned thirty, discovered she's the incarnation of the Hindu goddess Kali, and happens to be unemployed and still living with her parents. Saving the world, though, may prove to be a curry-scented breeze compared to dealing with her extended Indian family. In their eyes she isn't just the black sheep -- she's low-grade mutton.

"To make matters worse, despite frequent and therapeutic bouts of shopping and Starbucks, and the mentoring of a Taco Bell-loving, Coca Cola-guzzling swami, Maya has trouble just surviving, thanks to the attentions of a Kali-hating fanatic and a matchmaking aunt hell-bent on finding her a nice Indian boy. Maya has no interest in boys. She wants a man and she may have found one.

"He's tall, dark, and gorgeous ... and completely uninterested in her.

"In the name of all that's holy and fashionable ... what on Earth is a goddess to do?"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess for Hire.