Pamela's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Jan 17, 13

Read from January 14 to 17, 2013

Eh. 2.5 stars. I was disappointed. It's a great title, and the dust jacket glows in the dark. So that's cool. I did enjoy it for the fast, easy read that it was. But. But. But. It should have been better. All the references to google and wiki and kindles and wi-fi got annoying fast. Twitter this and blog that, here a google, there a google, everywhere a google google. It's more about the wonders of computers than of books. That aside, I also found most of the characters to be clichés, and their actions and motives at times confusing and unbelievable. And I didn't like how I kept being informed that something mysterious or curious or dramatic was happening... Let ME decide that for myself. SHOW me don't TELL me. Oh! And if you're going to set your book in San Francisco, surely you could add a little more fun local flavor, other than, like, the Golden Gate Bridge or the wild parrots of Telegraph Hill.
Overall, fine to spend a couple of evenings on, but unimpressive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.