Lisa's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Mar 13, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in March, 2009

I had a hard time getting into this book and was nearly halfway thru when it finally caught my interest.(i was about to give up, but its such a short book, and a "classic", that i trudged on). Not sure if it was the writing style, or the story itself, but it did finally pick up and become exciting. Against many other reviews, i found Golding's descriptive detail a little tiresome and windy...and often found my mind wandering when he rambled on in this way. (perhaps its my short attention span...who knows :)

I did find myself wondering what the outcome would have been, had they been a bunch of girls on the island instead. It was only too obvious what was going to happen...given a bunch of prepubescent boys running wild on an island...sad, but not surprising. It would be interesting to see how a bunch of girls would have fared in the same situation.

Im sad to say, that once the kids started to turn savage, i finally became interested in the story. Up until that point, it seems all the kids were busy picking on the lazy "fat" kid, Piggy...and i didnt care for their cruelty...but i suppose that was all part of the story and the symbolism.

In the end, im glad i finally read this book, though i will happily pass it on, with no plans to ever read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.