Katrina Burchett's Reviews > A Single Thread

A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick

Mar 27, 09

bookshelves: books-i-own, favorite-reads
Read in March, 2009

Newly divorced Evelyn Dixon needed a change. She drove from Forth Worth, TX to the town of New Bern, CT, happened upon an old run down shop for rent and realized that she’d found a new home; a place to make her dream of owning a quilt shop a reality. She loved quilting and she was determined to make this new business work even though people told her it wouldn’t last.
Abigail Burgess Wynne, the wealthiest woman in New Bern, had many acquaintances but her attorney, Franklin, was her only friend. Her life consisted of cocktail parties and board meetings. She gave money to worthy causes, but only because it helped her public image. She distanced herself from anything hands on and there was no one she’d allow to get too close.
Liza Burgess, Abigail’s niece, lost her mother (Abigail’s sister) to breast cancer and she was hurting. When she acted out and got herself into trouble, her Aunt reluctantly came to her aid. Although they were family, they weren’t the least bit close because for years and years Abigail had been holding on to a particular secret that destroyed family bonds.
Margot was unemployed and in need of work. She was not happy with her situation but this didn’t keep her from caring about the happiness of others. When she saw that Evelyn was in need it didn’t matter that she barely knew her; this true Christian woman jumped right in there to lend a hand.
When there’s a lot of scenic description in a story, I usually don’t like that because it doesn’t matter to me how many trees there are or what commercial buildings and homes look like, but the author described New Bern in a way that made me feel like I wanted to visit Connecticut. I began to wonder what kind of life Evelyn was going to have in this imaginary place and that’s what kept me turning the pages.
I like the way the author told the story from Evelyn and Abigail’s points of view. I liked both characters but I mostly looked forward to Abigail’s take on things. She was funny. I also like how Evelyn, Abigail, Liza and Margot started a quilting circle and became friends. They supported each other in times of crises, worked through issues and helped each other to grow.
I learned quite a bit while reading this book. The story has a lot of valuable information about quilting techniques, what it takes to run a business, and, most importantly, the importance of early breast cancer detection and the different treatments.
A Single Thread is an enjoyable, thought-provoking read. Bostwick wrote her first contemporary novel with wit and honesty. This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I look forward to reading more of her stories, starting with A Thread of Truth, which will be released in May.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Single Thread.