Mr. Z's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

1928892
Mar 12, 09

bookshelves: a-classroom-library, fantasy-mythical-magical, action-adventure-suspense, romance
Read in March, 2009

Graceling truly IS a WOW book! I'm astounded at what a masterpiece of a read it was considering it was Cashore's first book. My favorite book this school year is The Hunger Games (main characters: Katniss and Peeta) and Graceling (main characters: Katsa and Po) is now my 2nd favorite book. For most of the book, I was completely hooked and found the few slow parts to be well worth the read.

In the beginning of the story, we find that Katsa is "graced" with the ability to fight extraordinarily well. So much so, in fact, that her king users her as a hitman of sorts. The king uses her to intimidate any of his enemies or aggressors. Katsa seems content with her role until she starts thinking about the morality of the king's orders. She meets and falls in love with a prince named Po, who convinces Katsa that she doesn't have to take orders from anyone. With this new way of thinking, she embarks on a journey to find whose to blame for the kidnapping of Po's grandfather. Their journey is a bloody one, filled with many obstacles, from evil humans to deadly weather.

I am so enamored with this story that I will be recommending it to practically everyone 8th grade and up. While there was one short sex scene, it was written tactfully with respects to younger readers. The book itself recommends readers 14 and older.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

03/11/2009 page 120