Michaela's Reviews > False Memory

False Memory by Dean Koontz

Mar 09, 09

Read in March, 2009

I've been reading this book for about 3 months...finally finished it last night. Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors because his books are always so incredibly suspenseful. False Memory is yet another example of suspense and bone chilling imagery. Koontz' characters are developed so well and are so realistic that you often forget they are fictional. He even finds ways to bring subtle humor into the most disturbing of events, for example "Dusty was thinking so hard that the wax would have been blown out of his ears with the velocity of bullets" (388).
The story revolves around a woman named Martie who wakes up one morning and is terrified by her own shadow and can't even look at herself in the mirror. This phobia is called autophobia. To add to the chaos, Martie has a friend with agoraphobia (scared of going outside) who she often takes to therapy sessions. As one could imagine, these trips to the doctor with her friend are extremely difficult! Basically, Martie's once happy marriage begins to fall apart completely, and her husband, Dusty, is desperate to find out what's wrong with her. The plot thickens!!!!!! Dusty takes Martie to the same therapist as her agoraphobic friend, in which he discovers that he HIMSELF has an even more bizarre condition than Martie. I don't want to give away anymore, but I highly suggest this book to anyone who loves suspense. However, I do not recommend this book to those who don't want to have nightmares about going crazy.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Memory.