Andrea Hickman Walker's Reviews > Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat: Why It's So Hard to Think Straight About Animals

Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog

Dec 28, 12

bookshelves: animals, cooking, health, history, philosophy, science
Read on December 28, 2012

This is a fantastic book that clearly delineates the moral ambiguities of most human-animal interaction. I feel that this is something that everyone should think about, though I imagine most people don't. Of course, I also imagine that most people don't think about the vast majority of things, but only those matters that they come face-to-face with in their daily lives. And given the conditions that most people live in, that's probably fairly accurate and is certainly understandable. But I'm talking about the other people - the people who live comfortably and don't have to worry about where they're going to sleep, when they'll next eat, or how they'll survive the night. Those people should think about this sort of thing - what's the difference between the animal they share their home with and the animal they ate for supper? For most people there is a difference, and it's an emotional difference, not a rational difference. It's the fact that most of us react to animals emotionally rather than rationally that causes the vast majority of ambiguity and double standards in our dealings with animals. It's the visceral, gut-reaction of 'no' that we had when my father suggested eating the chickens we kept in the garden. It didn't stop us from eating store-bought chickens who had had a far more unpleasant life, of course.

This is a wonderful book that will provide a vast deal of food for thought on issues that I think are very important.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat.