MannyO's Reviews > Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive

Waking the Dead by John Eldredge

Mar 09, 2009

bookshelves: reviewed-books
Read in April, 2009

The glory of God is man fully alive. The heart is not fully alive until a person sees their way clearly, with God walking with them in stride. Waking the Dead helps you “see with the eyes of your heart” instead of just wanting to get through each day, and awakens your own relationship with God. By overcoming society’s preconceptions of what life is supposed to be and how to get there, this book explains that there is deeper meaning to life when its true purpose is found.
This book is set up in an outline-like format for each chapter to separate thoughts the author is trying to convey, which lets the reader focus on each particular aspect of restoring their life through Christ. From allusions to the "Lord of the Rings" to "The Matrix" and even "the Lion King", Waking the Dead shows how real life media has hidden symbols of the principles of Christianity. This creates a sense of meaningful reality to awaken the soul that God’s love is present even in the most unexpected places.
This book is so inspirational, it is life-changing. In the search to finding my place with God, this book made me clearly see it. The powerful messages Eldredge sends to his readers is through his lessons of human motives and getting past ourselves to find the Lord. Anyone who is seeking guidance in a stressful point in their life should read this book. I can guarantee that they will feel uplifted by the awe-inspiring motivation this book is replete with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking the Dead.

message 1: by ME Pruitt (new)

ME Pruitt This sounds really interesting...I just might have to check that one out. Overall, nice job this year!