Bry's Reviews > Austenland

Austenland by Shannon Hale

Apr 07, 09

bookshelves: 2009, jane-austen-esque, contemporary, romance
Read in March, 2009

Dear god I think I am Jane.

This character speaks to me so much it hurts. To see my own personality and faults on a page for all to see. Although as much as I am obsessed I don't think I could have suvived the 'immersion therapy' as Jane called it.

I read through it quickly and really enjoyed how between each chaopter was a description of her 'boyfriends'. I thought they really helped to explain Jane's personality and issues.

I do wish we'd gotten to know Knobley (Henry) a bit better. I was rooting for him, but was always unsure if that was the right character to wish Jane with. All in all we could have gotten to know a bit more about all the characters, not to mention events that happened at the house. The story just could have been longer and more elaborate. If it were I would have felt more confident about Jane and Henry's relationship lasting after the book ended.

Either way it is a welome addition to my collection of Austen-esque novels as even true Austen fan has imagined themselves - at least once - to be in Jane's stories, in their own 'Austenland'.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austenland.

03/24/2009 page 80
40.61% "OMG I feel like this book was written about me."