Bry's Reviews > Pride and Prescience: Or, A Truth Universally Acknowledged

Mar 09, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: jane-austen-esque, 2009, rubbish, historical-fiction, mystery
Read in March, 2009

Well I was really hoping to like this book so that I would be induced to read the 3 following books in the series, but seeing as how I was so dissapointed with it that won't be happening.

The plot was interesting and I'm the first to admit my love of supernatural stories, but they just don't flow well within the Austen universe.

Also, I felt there was a serious lack of emotion between all the couples. I know walking the line in terms of PDA, emotion, etc from today's standards and regency standards is very hard, but come on. All the couples were in their honeymoon period (and yes I realize there are lots of rules concerning decorum and propriety) but their relationships just did not come across as believable - EVEN DARCY AND LIZZY! How can an author take one of the greatest pair of lovers in literature and make them seem almost indifferent to one another. To have them seem that way to 'society' is one thing, but to the reader as well? That's just unforgivable and a slap in the face to Austen.

And Carolines whorlwind courtship seemed most silly. No matter how distracted Bingley was Mr. and Mrs. Hurst should have been looking after Caroline as well. I just can't imagine anyone with her standards and prejudices in life wouldn't have looked more closely at Parrish's background and finances.

Oh well, not a completely waste of time but I definitely won't continue on with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prescience.

03/30/2009 page 185
64.24% "Its ok so far....don't see myself reading the next 3 though."