Bry's Reviews > Pemberley by the Sea: A Modern Love Story, Pride and Prejudice Style

Pemberley by the Sea by Abigail Reynolds

Apr 07, 2009

bookshelves: jane-austen-esque, 2009, romance, contemporary
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Oh my goodness I wanted to stay up all night to finish reading this book!! The characters are much like Lizzy and Darcy but amped up quite a bit! I enjoyed their cat and mouse game that was wonderfully modernized with prison scandals and tabloid sleeze!

I do feel bad though for the secondary characters in this book. And this is what kept me from rating this book as 5 stars. Especially Erin and Scott. They were used a as a means of introducing our characters and later as a catalyst for their breaking up argument but otherwise were almost completely ignored. Hell, they weren't even mentioned for over 150 pages! It's as if they had served their purpose and we then cast aside, only at the very end was their fate revealed, but it was done in such a rushed fashion it was if even the author had forgotten about them.

Also, her introduction of Ryan was extremely weak. He was brought up all of 3 miniscule times before his story was revealed. When it finally was I didn't even know what character Ryan was, I had already forgotten about him. For her predicament with him to be such an emotional experience fro her and cause such issues you think he would have been more prevalent by visablly effecting her to the reader.

The characterization I am going back and forth on. I think Cassie and Calder are wonderful - bit I don't know if it's their charcterization that is so great or if I am just remembering Darcy and Lizzy too well. Unfortunately both Erin and Scott are under characterized and under utilized as I mentioned before.

Oddly enough though the last 1/3 of the book completely derails from P and P, but thats cool. It was interesting with all the scheming, but it seemed to keep going and going and going. The climax of the story was just really spread out. Still I loved it even if it did peter out at the end!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pemberley by the Sea.

03/18/2009 page 299