Anita's Reviews > Gil's All Fright Diner

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: fantasy-funny, urban-fantasy
Recommended for: Fans of Terry Pratchett and Christopher Moore
Read in March, 2009

I am really starting to like this author. This is the second book I've read by Martinez, and I'm looking forward to more. It's tongue-in-cheek funny in a slightly wrong way that I love. It's not as sick and twisted as Christopher Moore, more like wry humor, and very entertaining.

A vampire with a comb over (Earl) and his buddy a former-truck-driving werewolf (Duke) roll into a godforsaken redneck town in the desert, and the townsfolk think, no big woop - crazy shit happens to them all the time. Like the zombies that keep storming the local diner, or the plagues of locust, or the moon staying full for weeks at a time. You name it - it's happened to this town. The diner owner offers Earl and Duke some work, and they need the money, so they stay. Pretty soon, they start to care about all the creepyness and want to do something about it. More crazy ship happens, and a very happy ending ensues. Even the bad guys get a good wrap up. This is a fun fast read, well worth the time.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gil's All Fright Diner.