Jason's Reviews > Soon I Will Be Invincible

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

Mar 19, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in March, 2009

I REALLY enjoyed this book! I felt like Grossman could not have done a better job with his character development. I felt like I knew several of them so well that I'd be able to recognize them in the produce aisle of my grocery store, even with their costumes off! What I really liked about this story was how well it allowed me to understand the complexities of what it might feel like to be a superhero or a villain. Grossman really gets it. He nailed it.

I had read some reviewers' comments saying that they found the character's insights hilarious. So, I was a bit worried about the book being too comical (and thus losing the forward momentum of the plot). Fortunately, I found the story to be a balanced presentation of superhero intrigue, action, and humor.

While I might agree with some reviewers that the ideas behind Grossman's superheroes and villains were not 100% original, I would argue that very people could make the characters come alive the way Grossman does. In addition, I think anyone writing in the superhero/villain genre nowadays is hard-pressed to come up with characters that don't at least have SOME overlap with another character somewhere else in the genre.

All in all, this was a fantastic read! I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys graphic novels, fantasy, or to any villains who attended Harvard!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soon I Will Be Invincible.