Jenn Estepp's Reviews > The Mighty Queens of Freeville: A Mother, a Daughter, and the People Who Raised Them

The Mighty Queens of Freeville by Amy Dickinson

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: just-give-me-some-truth, memoirish
Read in March, 2009

While I don't think I've ever read a single "Ask Amy" column, I do sometimes hear and enjoy Amy Dickinson on NPR. And the pre-pub word was strong, so I requested an arc of this one and finally got around to reading it last week. It's a super fast and enjoyable memoir, mostly about Amy's post-divorce life. The subtitle is really a good indicator ... in fact, I'm thinking that I'm probably going to send this book to my mom, even though it isn't necessarily the sort of thing she normally reads. This book seems tailor made for book clubs and it's genuinely sweet without being (too) sappy or cliched. Amy has a very engaging voice and I developed real affection for her and definitely found moments throughout I could relate to, even if the circumstances of our life are vastly different. And yeah, it totally fed the life-in-a-small-town desires I occasionally have, even though vast swaths of it take place in big cities.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mighty Queens of Freeville.