Tommy's Reviews > Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

M_50x66
Mar 19, 09

bookshelves: economy, politics-commentary, non-fiction
Read in March, 2009

This was a great book. An insiders look at America and America's consulting/engineering firms (Bechtel, Halliburton, etc.) roles in the rise and fall of many nations and leaders.

John Perkins addresses his role in the new imperialism which is largely economic and how he help American interests effectively control countries by either saddling them with crippling debts or making them dependent on the services of American companies.

Perkins also addresses the shades of colonialism that still exist in the system that are now just more covert. The assassination of Omar Torrijos and Jaime Roldos (which were carried out by the CIA but made to look like accidents), the imprisonment of Noriega and the invasion of Iraq.

This book kept me interested and kept me outraged. The author does a great job and makes the imperative for change of the SYSTEM (not the ousting of certain people) absolutely crucial. It may start with our energy independence but that is just the first step.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.