Michelle's Reviews > Izzy & Lenore: Two Dogs, an Unexpected Journey, and Me

Izzy & Lenore by Jon Katz

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: 2009-book-challenge, dogs
Read in January, 2009

The first thing I noted about this book was that it was very much unlike the previous Katz books I've read. For one, there was no long discussion of how he fought with a particular dog to get the poor thing under control. Most of his relationships with dogs have been fraught with tension. This was the first time he seemed to either get dogs who were relaxed or who he didn't try to train through sheer will and craziness. Maybe that's why the two dogs he focuses on in this book are so much better-behaved than his other dogs have been. And maybe it's why he hasn't shown any sign of giving them up (in all, he's given away 3 dogs for various reasons and euthanized one due to aggression issues he refused to work on). The book is billed as being about Izzy (a border collie) and Lenore (a black lab puppy) but really, if you're a lab lover, there isn't a whole lot of Lenore in this book. Most of it focuses on his hospice work with Izzy. The stories he tells about these dying folks and the way his dog connects with them are at turns heartbreaking and heartwarming. I know I said before I have a love/hate relationship with this man and his books...well, this one falls more on the "love" side of things. I ripped right through it in just about a day and loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Izzy & Lenore.