Michelle's Reviews > I Have Heard You Calling in the Night

Mar 09, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009-book-challenge, library-books, dogs
Read in March, 2009

I picked this up on a whim while at the library. It's not one I had heard about in the realm of dog books, but it looked interesting enough. And it was. I can't say this book was wholly about a dog. Thomas Healy was a man struggling with many demons, mostly alcoholism. He bought a Doberman pup, who he named Martin, off a nasty man and Martin was his savior for a time. The way he writes is compelling. The book is present, future, and flashback all at the same time. There are no chapters, so it reads in a continuous flow, almost a sort of stream of consciousness.

It was an interesting read, though I never quite became so connected to the dog in the memoir that I cried at the inevitable end of Martin's life. I usually do. That is not saying the book was not emotional, not well-crafted. It certainly was and I certainly enjoyed reading it. I just never felt wholly connected to Martin, even though it was clear the author loved him dearly.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Have Heard You Calling in the Night.