El's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Mar 10, 2009

bookshelves: 19th-centurylit-late, modern-library-list-top-100-fiction, 1001-books-list
Read in March, 2009

Unless you've lived under a rock your entire life it's likely that you know what this book is about. But on the off-chance there's someone out there who is on a rumspringa and stumbles across this book I'll give a run-down anyhow.

Dorian Gray has his portrait painted by Basil Hallward. Through Basil (but against Basil's wishes), Dorian meets Lord Henry, a persuasive man with extreme opinions and world-views. Dorian becomes infatuated with Lord Henry in return and his life is forever altered by the connection that forms between them.

And really, anything more than that would be giving something away. For those stuck under a rock I mean.

So on a side, personal note (aside from mentioning that this is actually a re-read on my part, but I enjoyed it even more this time around) I have to say that I picked this copy up from the library, and someone prior to me evidently had strong feelings about the text. Several places were heavily underlined, there were stars and check marks in the margins, and on five separate occasions the person had written in block letters, "SATAN!!" Five times. And then the kicker is on page 223 where the previous reader had written, "Satan has taken his SOUL!"

I probably giggled more while reading this book than anyone in the history of reading The Picture of Dorian Gray. Sadly the comedy is probably only in this particular copy, found only at the Carnegie Library (Oakland branch).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.

03/09/2009 page 30
07/12/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Rhonda SATAN!! lol

message 2: by El (new) - rated it 4 stars

El It's the funniest damn thing. I almost want to buy a new copy of the book and trade the library for this copy.

I just want to know if the previous reader marred this copy for school or for personal reasons.

karen EXCELLENT.

Jason Ha ha. Maybe your copy was used in conjunction with a Bible study?

message 5: by El (new) - rated it 4 stars

El Hah. That's a terrifying thought somehow.