Auntee's Reviews > Deep Kiss Of Winter

Deep Kiss Of Winter by Kresley Cole

Oct 20, 09

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, anthologies-novellas, 2009_reads, made_me_cry
Recommended for: Fans of the series; fans of vampire romance
Read in October, 2009

This review is for the Kresley Cole story, "Untouchable", only.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record regarding this series...I loved this book! Yes, when it comes to paranormal romances, I have a soft spot in my heart for vampires, so it stands to reason that I would enjoy this story about renowned sexy rake Murdoch Wroth (last of the unattached Wroth vampires) and his 'Bride', the beautiful Daniela the Ice Maiden. I won't get into the plot, since there's a nice synopsis that goes with the book details, except to say that of all the books in the series, it's probably the easiest one to follow and understand. The book is only 256 pages long, yet it doesn't read like a short story or novella. There's plenty of character development and a fast paced plot, and it's written very lean and tight, but still has a bit of the trademark humor and pop culture references that are sprinkled throughout the books in the series. (Funniest bit is when Daniela gives the arrogant Murdoch her phone number, which is actually the name of a well known song.) I will warn that it's best that you've read all the books involving the Wroth vampires before you start this one, which would include all the way up to Dark Needs at Night's Edge, which is book #5 in the series. This book actually takes place during the months that books 1-5 occur, which was a bit confusing for me at first. And since it's been a while since I read those books, I was second guessing myself when during the first part of the story it was mentioned that Sebastian (No Rest for the Wicked) and Conrad (Dark Needs at Night's Edge) hadn't been 'blooded' (finding their mates) yet. But gradually as the story goes along, Murdoch has some interaction with all his brothers and then you get a sense just where this book falls chronologically.

Now, as far as the hero and heroine? I fell in love with both of them! Sometimes I have a little problem with the heroines of this series--some of those valkyries are hard to take! But I loved part valkyrie/part ice fey, two thousand(?) year old virgin Daniela from the get-go. I felt sorry for her and her lonely existence. Imagine not being able to touch or be touched without feeling pain--what kind of life is that? And the lengths she had to go to just to be able to live with her half sisters (who thought of her as a 'broken doll') in hot and humid New Orleans--living in a room that was equivalent to a walk-in freezer, constantly having to be on guard that she didn't get overheated and go into thermal shock, making sure she didn't accidentally touch someone and get scalded...talk about tortured heroine! All she wanted was to be loved, and she was desperate to be touched by a man, but the chances of that happening were practically nil, unless she wanted to be with someone of her own kind. And that couldn't happen because she had Icere assassins hunting her, sent by the Icere king to make sure that she couldn't come back to her people and take over her rightful place as their queen. And when those assassins finally caught up with her as she was walking through the French Quarter, that's when she met the man who would save her and ultimately change her whole existence--Murdoch Wroth.

Murdoch--ah, what a guy! Tall, striking, mid-thirties, longish dark hair, fantasy worthy face, with a strong masculine jaw and chin, big and muscular--gorgeous...and he knows it. A different-woman-every- night 'manwhore' in his pre-vampire life, and now without a woman (and liking it) for over 300 years. Until he sees the beautiful Daniela...and saves her from attack...and then his heart starts beating...and he's been 'blooded'...to a woman he can never touch...or have. How ironic.

I just loved Murdoch and Daniela together. Even though they were deeply attracted to each other, Murdoch, with his love 'em and leave 'em mentality, wasn't entirely on board with being 'blooded' to Daniela. To him it was bad enough being blooded, but to a woman he could never touch or have sex with (without scalding her and causing her immense pain)? He just didn't see how that could work. Ah, but gradually as they spent time together they found creative ways to be together, which helped somewhat but also frustrated both of them. I loved when Murdoch took Daniela to his cabin in frozen Siberia--what better place for her? I loved seeing him fall under her spell, even though he wasn't aware that he was. I loved seeing him struggle over his feelings over wanting to be with her, yet not wanting to be tied to anyone. I loved when he finally realized that he loved her and just what he was willing to give up to be with Daniela for eternity. I just loved all the growth and maturity he went through while he fell in love with her. And what he was willing to do to be with Daniela (and what she gave up for him) in the end brought tears to my eyes. Of course you know after all that there's going to be a way for them to be physically intimate, and let me tell you--it's worth the wait. Scorching hot is all I'll say.:)

There's a nice, touching little epilogue where all the Wroth vampires and their brides get together on Christmas Eve, and it leads the reader to believe that we haven't seen the last of this family. I would love that, and I hope Ms. Cole has that in the works.

Fans of the series--I don't see how you can be disappointed in this one. This one had more pure romance, and less adventure, but that was okay with me. Daniela and Murdoch were real sweethearts, and are now probably my favorite couple of this whole wonderful series. What can I say, another 5 star read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Kiss Of Winter.

10/18/2009 page 1
10/18/2009 page 1
0.23% "I'm thinking i should read "The Warlord Wants Forever" again to refresh my memeory about Myst and Nikolai..."
10/18/2009 page 69
16.2% "Had to laugh when Daniela tells Murdoch her phone #...867-5309" 8 comments
10/18/2009 page 113
26.53% "Loving Murdoch and all his arrogance..." 2 comments
10/19/2009 page 173
40.61% "Love being in the IAD world again..." 4 comments
10/20/2009 page 336
78.87% "Loved "Untouchable"--very romantic. Review coming..."

Theresa This is the book I'm starting next. How is the story?

Auntee Awesome!:)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I was so excited to see this out, only to be disappointed that it was in hardcover. Here's hoping the paperback doesn't take too long to come out!

Auntee I only read the KC story, and it was worth the $11.87 I spent--I loved it! But yeah, I wished it was a pb.

Maya I just got it today and can't wait to get at it lol

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Auntee wrote: "I only read the KC story, and it was worth the $11.87 I spent--I loved it! But yeah, I wished it was a pb."

$11.87? Ha. Try $27! Even from Amazon it's $17. I'll wait for the $10 paperback.

message 7: by Auntee (last edited Oct 20, 2009 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee Really? I pre-ordered from Amazon and got it for $11.87. Did they raise it to $17 already?

Okay, I forgot you're from Canada--that must be the Canadian price--I think I'd wait, too.:)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Yeah, but our prices aren't usually that far off the US ones! Hardcovers, though, tend to be a bit steep - often $35 or more.

(Please don't say I'm from Canada! I will always be Australian no matter where I live!)

Auntee That was an excellent discount at Amazon--it reatails US for $21.99.

Okay--sorry Shannon, I hear you!:)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Wow, Auntee. Fantastic review. I'd so run and buy this book if I didn't already have it, based on your review. This is my favorite paranormal series and I've been pining without an IAD book, so I'm glad you loved this one. :)

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Great review, Auntee! :-) Can't wait to read this one.

Ally72 This was a super review Auntee!!! I am so excited to read it...I can't get enough of the IAD series. This review reminds me of all the reasons I love Kresley Cole!
Ally

Auntee Thanks Danielle and Karen--hope you guys like it!:) I'm just sorry I'm done with it...:(

message 14: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Auntee! *hums the well known song*

message 15: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Yup, definitely great review, I've learned to listen to Auntee on her choice of books, 99% of the time I agree with her assessments. I also got it pre-ordered from Amazon for 11.87 $ Auntee. I usually try to pre-order to get the cheaper deals on anything new.

MelissaB Great review Auntee! I am saving this for this weekend, it sounds like a great read. I love the humor in this series.

I was surprised this was a hardback when it shows up at my door from Amazon - I thought from the price that it would be a bigger paperback.

message 17: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Great review, Auntee! I just started this series a few days ago and I'm still on the fence about it, but your review is very enticing. If you haven't said "I will warn that it's best that you've read all the books involving the Wroth vampires before you start this one", I'd skip all the books I haven't read yet and jump right into this one because I already know Murdoch from The Warlord Wants Forever.

Auntee Melissab wrote: "Great review Auntee! I am saving this for this weekend, it sounds like a great read. I love the humor in this series.

Thanks Melissa! I know what you mean--that price suggests 'trade paperback', doesn't it?

Auntee Dina wrote: "Great review, Auntee! I just started this series a few days ago and I'm still on the fence about it, but your review is very enticing. If you haven't said "I will warn that it's best that you've re..."

Thanks Dina! For me, the series got better once I hit the vampire books.:)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Melissab wrote: "Great review Auntee! I am saving this for this weekend, it sounds like a great read. I love the humor in this series.

--It is pretty affordable for a hardcover.

MelissaB OMG - it was just pointed out by the ladies at Smart Bitches - there is totally a frozen Mr. Happy sticking out of his pants on the cover. I can see it on the cover of the shot on their blog - can anyone check their actual copy to confirm? I can't believe I didn't notice this!

message 22: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Oh my, I'm speechless!

Auntee YES IT IS THERE...but I just thought maybe my mind was in the gutter and that COULDN'T be what I was seeing!!! But it's either that or a really big popsicle peeking out of his pants...:)

Wendy Auntee wrote: "YES IT IS THERE...but I just thought maybe my mind was in the gutter and that COULDN'T be what I was seeing!!! But it's either that or a really big popsicle peeking out of his pants...:)"

LOL, First off, Great review Auntee. 2nd I can't wait to get home to check it out. I called one of the girls I work with to see if she had her book with her and she doesn't. You guys are cracking me up.

♡Karlyn P♡ Too funny!

♡Karlyn P♡ Here is the closeup image to prove it:

Wendy I guess that proves it. I wonder if someone was reprimanded for something and this was a way of getting back at the publisher. It happened with Glade air freshener years ago there were little penis' on the can... Thanks Karlyn

MelissaB Is it just me or does it look.....furry in the extreme closeup?

message 29: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina LOL, I think it's just the icing (as in "freezing of moisture in the air"), Melissa!

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Melissab wrote: "OMG - it was just pointed out by the ladies at Smart Bitches - there is totally a frozen Mr. Happy sticking out of his pants on the cover. I can see it on the cover of the shot on their blog - can ..."

I have no idea what you're talking about! I looked at the close-up image KarLynP provided a link to and I don't even know what I'm looking for. Don't all these cover models have bulges? Or is it something else? (Or is it just this crappy IBM monitor?? Maybe I need the iMac at home...)

message 31: by MelissaB (last edited Oct 27, 2009 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelissaB Shannon,

It shows Mr. Happy himself above the pantline reaching toward the guy's belly button. (Look right above the belt buckle)

Auntee Did you all notice a similar phenomenon on his chest between the pecs? It looks like a little glowing knife (pointing downward towards his frozen business)

Auntee Wendy (Vhalkyrie) wrote: "I guess that proves it. I wonder if someone was reprimanded for something and this was a way of getting back at the publisher. It happened with Glade air freshener years ago there were little pen..."

LOL about the Glade air freshener!

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I saw a reflection of light above the belt buckle, but it doesn't look like anything but frost to me - which granted looks a bit stupid but *shrug* It honestly doesn't look like a penis. That is what you mean by "Mr Happy" yes?

However, now that it's been pointed out, when you look at the small cover images it stands out quite a lot and it's all I see.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I know. The same thing for me, Shannon. I didn't even notice if before.

message 37: by Dina (last edited Oct 27, 2009 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I had heard there were castles shaped like penises in the background on The Little Mermaid. Did anyone notice that?"

Well, ladies, have a look and draw your conclusions:

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Uh, yes. I would say that looks pretty phallic. Thanks for posting that, Dina. I never got to see it, until now.

message 39: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Oct 27, 2009 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Did you guys also see the link SmartBitches referenced called the 'accidental dong'? It was the inspiration to that blog post. It's a riot!

Auntee Saw that link KarLynP, and had some good laughs!:)

message 41: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina I'm just glad I'm alone at home and there's no one peeking over my should and asking WTF I'm looking at, LOL.

message 42: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Awesome review Cheryl! I'm quickly becoming a big fan of Showalter. I'll have to check this one out ...

message 43: by Rane (new)

Rane Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I know. The same thing for me, Shannon. I didn't even notice if before.
"

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Rane wrote: "On the smaller scale it does look like mr.happy *O_O* but on the bigger version you can see that it's a mere shadow"

Absolutely - and now it's distracting me every time I look at it!

Dina wrote: "Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I had heard there were castles shaped like penises in the background on The Little Mermaid. Did anyone notice that?"

Well, ladies, have a look and draw your c..."

*laughs*
Okay now that was funny!

KarLynP wrote: "Did you guys also see the link SmartBitches referenced called the 'accidental dong'? It was the inspiration to that blog post. It's a riot!"

Hilarious!! Thanks for the link!