Lauren Smith's Reviews > Keeping It Real

Keeping It Real by Justina Robson

May 06, 10

bookshelves: cyberpunk, fantasy

A female cyberpunk hero, parallel dimensions, and fusion of science fiction, fantasy, and mythology. I thought this would make for an amazing novel, or at least a very entertaining one, but it's poorly executed. Lila Black, despite the fact that she's supposed to be a hardcore cyborg, is annoyingly fragile on occasion, thanks to her machine parts rather than her meat. She seemed clunky rather than cool.

The rich fantasy/sf fusion I expected turned out to be a bit lame. It felt a lot like the author was writing a book designed to be turned into a movie, so while Keeping it Real might look really great on screen, on the page it had me rolling my eyes a lot of the time.

I did like the elven dimension very much though, despite the nagging feeling that some of it was just there to create an erotic atmosphere for intense elf/cyborg sex scenes. Confusion about the particulars of Lila's modified anatomy had me scratching my head a bit during these, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.

While I was initially very keen to explore the other dimensions in later books, by the end of Keeping it Real I was disappointed enough to drop the series then and there.

Read more reviews on my blog Violin in a Void

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping It Real.