Mara's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

Mar 08, 09

bookshelves: fiction, friendship, school, ya
Read in March, 2009

This book is about two different types of relationships. At first, it seems to be about a guy (Quentin, known as Q) who has been in love with his not-so-typical girl next door (Margo) since they were children together. Since being children, they've drifted apart and hang with very different crowds in high school. She's with the cool kids, and he's with the band geeks. But what happens when she decides she needs his help to carry out the ultimate revenge plan? And then disappears?

But there's also the relationship between Q and his two best friends. And I think that's what this book is really about. The interactions among Q and his friends as they try to figure out what happened to Margo and plan for prom at the same time had me laughing out loud even in this seemingly somber book.

I did have one problem with this book: Margo is almost the exact same character as Alaska from another of Green's books. The incandescent girl who plans elaborate pranks and captures the imagination of her peers is an excellent character, but surely Green has more than one leading lady in his repertoire. Incidentally, I like Margo better than her counterpart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jaclyn I totally agree that Margo and Alaska are almost exactly the same yet I disliked Alaska and though I didn't love Margo, I liked her more than Alaska. Did you read an Abundance of Katherines? The girl character is a little different so it was refreshing.

Mara haven't read Katherines yet, and was doubtful after two such similar female characters, but I'll check it out.

message 3: by Jardley (new) - added it

Jardley Im getting a bit nervous about reading Abundance of Katherines, as many have agreed that both girls in Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns were much the same. I definitely felt the same about the book being about two different relationships. As the book went on, I grew to not care as much about Margo, or about finding her as I knew the ending would be about them finding her or not, but about that journey, about the experience with his friends. It felt like it mattered more.