Mike's Reviews > Water Keep

Water Keep by J. Scott Savage

Mar 08, 09

This book contains one of my pet peeves - multiple moons showing different phases in the sky at once. (The author may have done this deliberately to show what a quirky, surreal place Farworld is sometimes - or he may just not have thought it through, which I think is more likely.) And, to get another quibble out of the way, who calls their own world "Farworld"? Far from what?

Other than that, and a few other minor unlikelinesses which can be easily excused in a children's fantasy novel, this is enjoyable and engaging. The main characters are willing to risk and sacrifice in order to help others, which is the kind of main character I like. Sure, there's a Dark Lord and not one, but two Chosen Ones, and I find that cliche overdone, but it's handled well and manages to be original despite those elements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water Keep.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. Mike,

Thanks for the review. I just dropped you a message to get more info on the moons. I did reserch the question, and the answer I received was that the three moons would all have different orbits and a different length month. They would rise and set in different places. So you could have three moons in different phases in different parts of the sky at the same time. Entirely possible that I interpreted my answers wrong though. What did I miss?

As far as the name of Farworld, there is a reason it was named that, but you won't find out why until the beginning of book five.

Thanks again,

Scott

Mike I think the text actually says that all three moons were almost directly overhead and showing different phases - which isn't astronomically possible, since the phase of the moon isn't related directly to its orbit or where it rises or sets, but to where the sun is in relation to it. When the sun is directly opposite, it's full, when it's shining from one side, it's half, and when it's at an angle where it hardly illuminates the moon at all, it's crescent.

But you could pretend it was the quirky one and I'm sure people would believe it.

Thanks for the response! Good book, I did like it.

message 3: by J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. What if I just say that I am quirky? My bad! I did all that reserach to make sure I could have three different moons in different phases and with different colors, and then I worded it in a way that makes it appear they are all at the same point in the sky--which is really funny because I imagined them spread out at different points. Oh, well. I can hopefully fix that in the next print run.

Thanks gain for the great review and great catch!

message 4: by Sally (new)

Sally I did wonder how the tides would behave.

message 5: by Brandon (new) - added it

Brandon If the phases of the moon is determined by the position of the sun, then it is also determined by the position of the moon itself. That's just the reverse of the statement about it being the position of the sun that determines the phase.