Jeremy's Reviews > Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: eml
Read from July 01 to 28, 2011, read count: 1

For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. It has two parallel story-lines going on: one in which the narrator is driving across the country on his motorcycle with his son, and another where the narrator recounts a gradual transition he went through while in graduate school. There were moments, sometimes lengthy, when I was completely mesmerized by the book: some of the descriptions of working on motorcycles, his story of teaching rhetoric and how he uses his students to develop his own theories on teaching and philosophy, and his war with the University of Chicago professors.

This book has many positive qualities. Sometimes it did tunnel a little too deeply into philosophy for my taste, and it became hard to follow, but it didn't stay there too long. I was afraid, based on the title, that it would a little too hippy/free-spirited for me, but I was happily surprised.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.