Douglas Meeks's Reviews > Deadly Sting

Deadly Sting by Jennifer Estep

Dec 27, 12

Summary:
Red is definitely my color. Good thing, because in my line of work, I end up wearing it a lot.

Most people shy away from blood, but for an assassin like me — Gin Blanco, aka the Spider — it’s just part of the job. Still, it would be nice to get a night off, especially when I’m attending the biggest gala event of the summer at Briartop, Ashland’s fanciest art museum. But it’s just not meant to be. For this exhibition of my late nemesis’ priceless possessions is not only the place to be seen, but the place to be robbed and taken hostage at gunpoint as well. No sooner did I get my champagne than a bunch of the unluckiest thieves ever burst into the museum and started looting the place.

Unlucky why? Because I brought along a couple of knives in addition to my killer dress. Add these to my Ice and Stone magic, and nothing makes me happier than showing the bad guys why red really is my color
Against her better judgment, Gin is coerced into attending a high society gala with the rest of Ashland's elite underworld. On display: the priceless art collection of her deceased nemesis, Mab Monroe, and an excess of crime boss swagger. While not comfortable in her fancy attire, Gin gets vastly more interested in the evening’s events when a group of thieves bursts in and tries to seize the valuable, dangerous gems. Facing a Die Hard-esque scenario in which she must free hostage partygoers while herself trapped in the museum, things get a little bit messy when the bloodshed begins. Let's just say that Gin should have chosen the red gown…

Review:
Gin just can’t seem to have a quiet night out, she has been on a “break” from the love of her life and then to get pulled into a gala event by her brother that was going to life her spirits ……. Yea, that’s gonna happen.

This may be one of the better books in the series but that statement almost has no meaning in this series since pretty much every book seems like it may be just a bit better than the last in some way. This time is no exception, you get to see Gin at her skillful assassin best and emotional lows. Nothing about this night will go as planned and the fact that bad guys decided to pick tonight to do something stupid is one of those bad decisions you get to only make one time.

The fact that Ms Estep can make you feel that anyone including Gin can be killed in this book just stands as a testament to her writing ability. You feel certain that Gin has to survive so there can be a next book ….. right? She somehow injects the stress, emotion and angst into these books that keep people like me coming back for more. This novel has several twists and turns plus keeping you second guessing as to the motivations of a lot of the things that happen.

Gin is in great form and she is MAD, so as usual, that means somebody (or a lot of somebodies) are going to have a really bad day. Loved this book and it is at least 4.5/5 Stars, maybe more if you love violent heroines and maybe a bit less if it offends you but Gin is the ultimate bad-a$$ you want to avoid and NEVER threaten anyone she cares about, it could be fatal. This is the 8th book in this series and it shows no signs of getting stale, predictable or boring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Sting.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe I'm so jealous you got to read this! I want to ask about so many spoilers but I'm sure you won't divulge that information :P Do you think the 9th book will be the last?

Douglas Meeks The story would seem to be approaching an end or at least a reboot but there has been no word but most of my favorite authors seem to be branching out into new series (usually YA) which I find disturbing.

message 3: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe Haha agreed! Fingers crossed I guess :)

message 4: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe 10! :)
Question: How many books will be in the Elemental Assassin series?

Answer: Right now, I’m contracted for ten books. Books in the series so far are Spider’s Bite, Web of Lies, Venom, Tangled Threads, Spider’s Revenge, By a Thread, and Widow’s Web, along with an e-novella, Thread of Death. So there will be three more books after Widow’s Web.

Douglas Meeks It felt like it was drawing to a conclusion, wonder if they give her another contract if she would keep it alive or not. Sometimes letting a series end is the better option.

Douglas Meeks well with the release of this book Deadly Sting and the next book (later this year) of Heart of Venom means unless they contract for more the series will end this year ...... I am gonna hope not, too many good series ended this year for me.

message 7: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe I. NEED. THIS. NOW. :'(

Melindeeloo When I was reading this I was thinking of you - your inner revenge junky must have been really happy:)

Douglas Meeks Oh yes, I loved it LOL .... I am starting Heart of Venom today and she had killed two people by page 10 :) My kinda girl (Hey, they started it)

message 10: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe Whilst I love seeing more elemental books, I don't necessarily want a book full of flashbacks :S

Douglas Meeks The flashbacks in Heart of Venom are of things we never knew before, details of Sophia and her early life and Gin's first time she and Sophia actually liked each other type thing. they were done well and not detracted from the book I thought.