Wendy's Reviews > Homespun Bride

Homespun Bride by Jillian Hart

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: 2009, category, e-book, research, romance, free-e-harlequin
Read in March, 2009

Third of the three free ebooks in the Love Inspired line from Harlequin.

Man, I deserve karmic points for sticking with this turgid and tedious story to the end. Okay, okay, I admit to skipping plenty of stuff in the last chapter, in my eagerness to just be done with the story. But the point is that I did in fact stick with it to the end.

Historic romance set in 1860's Montana. Previously sighted heroine rendered blind by a blow on the head in a buggy accident that also killed the parents who (unbeknownst to the heroine) drove her fiancé out of town. Heroine living with protective (but oddly more objective) relatives. Jilting fiancé returns to the tiny town (but of course!), and is thrown together with the former beloved. The hero and heroine are immediately mutually attracted again, and spend most of the next eighteen chapters reminding themselves why It Can Never Be.

I was heartily sick of both of them by the end, though I was hoping that Noelle would take another blow to the head, and that would restore her sight so that at least she wouldn't have the 'but I'm blind, who will want me?' crap to hold her back anymore.

Once again, the title? Utterly meaningless. I hate that about these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homespun Bride.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Meredith I was going to review this book, but I couldn't have said it any better than this. I especially loved how Noelle's hair was alternately "cinnamon" and "chestnut"--not to mention the many verbs of which Thad's "baritone" was capable. If only I had a dollar for every mention of Noelle's heart-shaped face...

Bethenia Dixon I agree 100% I was also hoping she would have had another accident that would restore her sight but because the book was so annoying, I got a little evil in my thoughts. I wanted her sight to be restored to make it an extra happy event but at the very end have them both die in a carriage wreck just to be funny and wow unsuspecting readers.

Wendy Bethenia wrote: "...have them both die in a carriage wreck just to be funny..."

I would have given this book eight stars if the author had done that! But this is Harlequin, and the HEA is for the characters, not necessarily the readers. :)