El's Reviews > The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Mar 08, 09

bookshelves: late20th-centurylit, permanent-collection, young-adult-n-kids
Read in March, 2009

The unicorn is the protagonist of this story who begins to question her place in the world. She overhears a couple hunters in the woods debating whether or not unicorns still exist, sparking in her the desire to venture out in order to try to find others like herself. Along the way she meets an eclectic group of folks who all in some way affect your journey. In the process she comes to terms with what happened to the rest of the unicorns and battles the Red Bull in an effort to save the world.

I have a lot of love for this book, mostly due to the animated movie from the early eighties which made such a large impression upon me as a child. The book is amazing as well, partly due to the simple yet complex sketches by Mel Grant. It is a lot more than a young adult novel, filled with plenty of darkness and melancholy interspersed with the fantasy and occasional comedy. This is a fabulous read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Unicorn.

03/08/2009 page 95

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda How did I not know this was a book?! I watched this movie so many times when I was younger! In fact I own it on DVD now (I think I bought it at half-priced books) just because I have so many fond memories of it.

message 2: by El (new) - rated it 5 stars

El I haven't seen the movie in years - if I loan you the book can I borrow the movie? :)

message 3: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Sounds like a fair trade!