Edward's Reviews > The Invention of Morel and Other Stories

Apr 04, 2009

bookshelves: sf, fantasy
Recommended to Edward by: Joachim Horvitz
Read in March, 2009

The narrator of this story has escaped some sort of pursuit and inhabits a small, abandoned island. A group of visitors appears one day sending him into hiding. He watches their routine comings and goings and develops a strong attraction to one of them. This beautiful woman is often seen in the company of the man named "Morel."

Without revealing his presence, he tries to discover how and why his mysterious visitors made their sudden appearance. As he proceeds, he falls more in love with the unattainable women.

The story is full of ideas and concepts that must have been strange and extraordinary for 1940 when they were written. They're almost obvious now that they've appeared in primetime TV shows. I won't get more specific than that.

The other stories are a mix of mystery, horror, and science fiction. I can't say I fully understood all of them. Maybe it was the South American writing style, the translation, or the authors intent. I dumbed them down in my mind to fit into my remembrance of The Twilight Zone series format and that worked for me.

This particular 1961 edition is out of print which is too bad. I enjoyed the illustrations, the typography, and the size and weight. The "look and feel" as they say for software? That was about the time I discovered the science fiction section of the library so it must have kindled happy memories. Uh, I do like ebooks too though.

My local library had to get this book for me through an interlibrary loan. I'm glad they did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Morel and Other Stories.