Trish's Reviews > The Same Sweet Girls

The Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra    King

Aug 21, 07

Read in August, 2007

When Cathryn learned of my undying love of the Ya Yas, she recommended this book. And it was good. I read it, found I wanted to turn off the TV to keep reading which for me these days is the sign of a compelling story. But I would have loved this book were I not so intimately familiar with the Ya Yas. The Ya Ya Sisterhood is well written where this is not, the rituals the women have are heartfelt, not cheesy as they are here, the women are the kind of friends to each other that we all wish we had whereas, by comparison, the Same Sweet Girls ARE the kind of friends we all have. I don't know about others, but when I pick up a book of this nature, I want to believe it's possible for women to truly and deeply love other women as friends without the cattyiness, the competition with each other, or the tragic bad judgement that tends to bring these women together. I want strong women, who love unconditionally, who don't necessarily need men to be happy. This story wasn't that. Read the Ya Yas. I'm telling you. If you can get past the cliche pop culture has made it, it's worth it. And yes, the movie sucks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Same Sweet Girls.