Becky's Reviews > Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy

Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire

Apr 08, 09

bookshelves: latin-america, nonfiction, 2009, refugees-and-immigrants
Read in April, 2009

This book is the memoirs of the author growing up in pre-revolutionary Cuba. He fled Cuba shortly after the revolution. I really liked the way he told his story. He remembered his childhood with such longing and it was very obvious that he was very angry abut being ripped from his home and family while still a child. No matter what your political feelings about the Cuban Revolution may be, this book definitetly just captured the home emotion of a loss of innocence and a lost childhood. But even throught this anger and loss there was still just a strong love of Cuba and what Cuba was/could be. I really liked the poetic style of the book as well. There was one scene in particular when he described having a fight with his friends with fruit from the trees in his neighborhood. He captured the pure joy he and his friends felt while just having fun and being kids so well that I laughed out loud as I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Snow in Havana.