Robert Beveridge's Reviews > The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka

Mar 07, 2009

bookshelves: cuy-co-pub-lib, finished
Read in March, 2009

Jon Scieszka, The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (Viking, 1992)

I've been hearing about this book forever, so I finally got round to picking up a copy and breezing through it. There's a lot to be said about the undermining of the world of fairy tales, but not being a scholar of same, I'm not the one to do so (one hopes that eventually one of the mythpunks will get around to doing a comprehensive review of this little tome...), but I recognize the utter brilliance that runs through this book. Scieszka turns fairy tales on their heads, taking jabs at every fairy tale convention there is, turning every sacred cow into shish kebabs and doing so in an extremely amusing way. If you're tired of reading the same old Cinderella stories to your kids, pick this up and have a blast. They'll love it as much as you will. ****

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales.