Jamie's Reviews > Lectures on Literature

1993961
Mar 14, 09

bookshelves: true-stuff-and-criticism
Read in March, 2009

Oh... this book was amazing. It's not an easy read if you haven't read the books that he's discussing, and even if you have read them in the past, it's a little dry to read about the structural aspects of Bleak House six years after you've read Bleak House (that said, I've never read "The Metamorphosis" but I had no problems getting through that section). But that's just the bits and pieces of this. What this book really boils down to is a discussion of Nabokov's feelings about reading, about how to be a good reader, about what it means to really ingest a book.

My favorite moment in the book is when he talks about how the only way to really read a book is with your back - meaning that if a book doesn't make you feel something between your spine, give you a little tingle, then you aren't really reading anything worthwhile. What a brilliant idea.

And finally, we must remember that, "In reading, we must notice and fondle the details."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lectures on Literature.

03/07/2009 page 5
03/08/2009 page 25
6.49% "I'm loving this book so far."
show 2 hidden updates…