Arminzerella's Reviews > Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure

Not Quite What I Was Planning by Larry Smith

Mar 07, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: autobiography-memoir, collection, nonfiction, books-for-the-nosy, borrowed-from-the-library
Read in March, 2009

SMITH Magazine wanted to challenge writers to express themselves in as few words as possible – by writing six-word memoirs – this collection is a result of their experiment. You might not recognize many or most of these names/authors, but you’ll find yourself paying attention to the six words that each of them chose – imagining how they picked these words, that sentence to sum themselves up. (I think I’d have to write several six-word memoirs to cover the salient details.) Some of these are cryptic, some are touching, some are hilarious, some are sad. I liked reading these and thinking about what my own six words would be, and how any six words could possibly sum me up. What do they say about the people who chose them, what their lives have been, what was important enough to receive mention, what they might have left out?

A taste:
“On the seventh word, he rested.” – Stephen J. Dubner

“Wasn’t born a redhead; fixed that.” – Andie Grace

“Philosophical teen, surrounded but sometimes lonely.” - Nehemiah Black

“Man, slightly disgruntled, may throw poo.” – Egan Fowler

“Clumsy girl found adventure. Also, bruises.” – Rebecca Campbell

“Slightly flabby, slightly fabulous, trying hard.” – Amy Friedman

“My second grade teacher was right.” – Janelle Brown

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Quite What I Was Planning.