Debbie's Reviews > Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark

Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark by Donna Lea Simpson

Mar 07, 2009

it was ok

I really wanted to like this book but I found I just could not get into it.

Lord Darkefell (this name was just a little too obvious for my tastes) and actually most of his household was so rude I found it surprising that Lady Anne would stay other than feeling an obligation to track down the murderer. Other than his kindness towards his secretary I do not see why Lady Anne starts to fall for Lord Darkefell. The other irritating part was the fact that there are constant references to Lady Anne wanting to draw this or that and goes into details about the arrival of her drawing supplies but halfway through the book we have yet to see her draw anything. In the end her drawing abilities really did not serve any purpose so I was not sure why it was brought up.

I do have to say Lady Anne was the bright spot of the book. As I got maybe half way through I really started to like her and her boldness not to let the men in the story treat her like an imbecile or coddle her like a weak woman. In fact, the one surprising factor of her character was that she fell for Lord Darkefell. I have to say it was also nice to see a heroine who wasn’t a great beauty with men tripping over their feet to be with her. Despite her plainness her personality and heart was what attracted Darkefell to her.

Stop here if you do not want any spoilers.

The most aggravating part about this book was there was no real resolution at the end. It seems as if it is a cliff hanger so you have to wait for the next book to come out to find out what happens. Darkefell proposes but Lady Anne runs away. Darkefell despite knowing that Lady Anne is an immensely sensible woman all of a sudden believes she is playing games and simply wants him to woo her. I do not see why he would think she is the stereotypical woman of this time despite all the time they spent together and him pointing out how she is unlike most women. I really would prefer this book just to have a conclusion to the romance in it rather than dragging on into another novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark.