Douglas Meeks's Reviews > Fae Guardian

Fae Guardian by Nicolette Reed

Dec 26, 2012

Fae Guardian, A Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy (Soulstealer Trilogy, #2)Fae Guardian, A Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy by Nicolette Reed

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Book: Fae Guardian
Series: Soulstealer Trilogy
Author: Nicolatte Reed
Publisher: Self Published
Genre: Romantic Fantasy
Rating: Adult
Length of book: Novel (316 pgs)

Dealing with wedding day woes, naked elven rituals, a best friend with a biting problem, dragon battles, and a war brewing between the selkie and the fae are only the beginning for Valora, the Fae Guardian. Valora needs to get Aric out of her mind if she's going to live happily ever after with Dooley. But nothing is ever easy with magic. Tying herself and Dooley to Aric becomes a matter of life and death, not just for them but for all of the Realms and even those beyond the portals to Earth. But can Valora handle the affections of two half-fae brothers? She has to if she wants to save the Realms — a world filled with cloud cities, volcanic mountains mined by dwarves, deserts inhabited by dragons, and lakes teaming with ferocious selkie. And getting the two of them to get along may be her biggest battle yet.

After reading Fae Hunter (Soulstealer Trilogy #1) and then the novella Mane Attraction (A Soulstealer Novella (Book #1.5)) (which should NOT be skipped) Fae Guardian: The Soulstealer Trilogy, Book #2 was a "must-buy" since the story was enjoyable, passionate and at times a bit tragic but the heroine Valora just keep on ticking.

This story was as enthralling and full of twists and turns as the others but it takes a bit darker turn and much to my dismay the author has once again inserted Aric back into the fray (who I personally consider a psychopath) and then to lessen my enjoyment even more added a lot of angst and even a Ménage à trois which did nothing for my enjoyment of this book, but the story is so addicting I only dropped my rating about half a star. Obviously, those things won't bother other readers so adjust as you see fit. The biggest thing was that the clear cut characters from Fae Hunter seem to have acquired a darker personality and motivations that are totally unclear, while this may add to the mystery a bit, I think it might confuse readers since the main heroine was about the only one whose personality stayed true to the first book IMHO.

I should mention that the events at the end of book 1 are not totally as they seemed :) While I gave this book 4 Stars I still consider the series about a 4.5/5 rating overall, this book while adding tons to the story also added things I could have done without but I will still be waiting eagerly for the final book.

Reviewed by: Douglas C. Meeks
Member of the Paranormal Romance Review Team

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fae Guardian.