R.J.'s Reviews > The Great Man

The Great Man by Kate Christensen

Mar 07, 2009

bookshelves: recommend
Read in March, 2009

I am an art admirer but not a terribly educated one. I break out in a sweat when thinking of going into a gallery where know my poor internal thesaurus will fail me. But the story here of a late artist who came to prominence during the time of deKooning, Pollack and the like interested me as it would explore his unconventional life--his relationships with three women, his wife of 50+ years, a mistress with whom he maintained a 40+ year relationship and an older sister, also an artist of some renown. You learn much about these three women, all remarkable and interesting in their own right but you don't learn much about the artist Oscar, or how he managed to have his cake and eat it too as we would say. -Why they all loved him, hated him, and beyond the grave remain loyal to him is discussed but never fully resolved. Its probably best that Oscar and his magnetic aura remain distant to the narrative, if you saw him up close, you'd either late him or love him and this book is more about the women he surrounded himself with who were much more fascinating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Man.