Darbyscloset's Reviews > The Associate

bookshelves: mystery
Recommended for: Mystery Lovers
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

The Associate

John Grisham’s latest book is “The Associate”, which I just finished reading. I always enjoy Grisham’s work and so I was eager to read this book once it was released to the public.
Grisham’s previous release was “The Appeal”. The first part of this book I was a little disappointed, for I thought he was rewriting the same story as in “The Appeal”, yet with different characters. I should of known better for just as the background was being laid out for the reader in the first couple of chapter’s, the stories plot made a dramatic turn, one I never would of suspected! Grisham’s latest release is a fast and great read.
The story is centered on a young law school graduate and how he bends to please others through his actions instead of following his heart. This character’s in this story are good, bad and questionable; morals are followed and broken. Similar to “The Appeal”, the main character is dragged around in the book as a pawn, bowing to other‘s commands. We again, thanks to John, get a detailed glimpse of how corporate and the government, dictate one’s life to the extent where one over powers the other, like a game of cat and mouse. The book’s hero, not only recognizes this game, he fights back. It is in his fight against the evils in his firm and outside of his firm, that result in his growth and leaves his conscience clean.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery, suspense, with a strong attraction to good over evil.
The conclusion ties up all the loose ends yet at the same time leave’s the reader room to consider a sequel. I my self would love to see Grisham publish a squeal to this book for the character’s were so well developed, that the reader wants to continue along with them despite their trails and errors.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Associate.