Nathan's Reviews > A Storm of Swords

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Mar 07, 09

Read in March, 2009

>900 pages. Nonetheless, this is my favorite of the series so far. This probably makes sense. I mean, don't we expect our authors to get better at what they do over time? Perhaps I was too jaded by Hollywood, whose sequels are increasingly awful.

This is my favorite book of the 3 because, now that I am well-immersed in the characters of the story, I found myself eagerly reading each chapter. I also got to the end of this one and immediately thought, "Oh no! I have to wait until my library requests the next one. Grrr!"

The bad thing about becoming immersed in the characters is that when our author KILLS THEM OFF, you're kinda upset, y'know? But I guess that shows a good author: he takes a character who has been around peripherally, builds them up so well that you really are interested in what part they'll play, and then kills them, and in that short period - you feel connected!

The other thing I'm both frustrated with and anxious about is how this whole thing will ever really wrap together in the end. I mean 'Song of Fire and Ice?' Will singers come to play a more vital part in the story as time goes by? Fire - is that Dany? Ice - who indeed? Or am I off my rocker? Oh, and does no one else (of the characters) see that all of the able-bodied leaders are systematically being exterminated?

I still find it odd that our author uses no language between the F-bomb and regular English. There are no intermediate curses in this series.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.