Donna's Reviews > Resenting the Hero

Resenting the Hero by Moira J. Moore

Mar 10, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in March, 2009

I'd been putting this one off because the title and cover make it look like a romantic comedy, very possibly one of the often-terrible "girl fantasy heroine performs feats of greatness thought beyond her sex" variety.

Thankfully, it's not. It's a story about unlikely partners who have innate defensive magic that they use to protect their world from the constant threat of disaster.

It was a bit tough to get into, because there's a lot of exposition about the world and magic system right up front. Then once I did start to get to know the characters better, I found myself getting annoyed with Dunleavy, the main character. She's smart and good at her job, but she's judgmental and snarky when it comes to anything regarding her partner, Shintaro. This is all the more annoying because she tries to be more open-minded about everyone else, and it's not uncommon for her to think that she should be a bit more thoughtful about Shintaro's feelings. This starts to change towards the end, which is the main reason I'm considering reading the next book.

Apart from my frustration with the character, this one was okay. The world is interesting and the system of magic has a lot of potential. I liked the writing style apart from Dunleavy's frequent habit of mental dialogue, which I often found awkward and unnecessary.

I'll probably try the second based on the world and on Shintaro, but it may be difficult to get me to genuinely like Dunleavy after this introduction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resenting the Hero.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angie I know what you mean. I felt the same way and all I can say is definitely try the 2nd one. It's great. Not that Dunleavey changes all her colors, but she gains some much needed...perspective. :)

Donna You're right, and I'm glad I went ahead with the series. It feels like she still has a big blind spot when it comes to him, but it's more of a reasonable character trait than the disdainful way she used to think about and sometimes treat him. In the later books, she seems a lot more playful when she's snippy at him and there isn't that mean-spirited edge behind it.

Angie She really does, doesn't she? I also think she's subconsciously willing herself to ignore the complexity of her feelings for Taro.