Jess's Reviews > I See You Everywhere

Mar 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, adult-fiction
Read in March, 2009

The format it intriguing, switching back and forth between two sisters over the years, but it took me a few sections to figure out what was going on. We get each sister's perspective on a certain point in time, each moment has well-drawn minor characters and usually a strong sense of setting, and Louisa and Clem both manage to be sympathetic and flawed at the same time. But then we jump forward in time, and we rarely meet those characters again, and things are often left unresolved from one point in time to the next. It's almost like reading a series of short stories, all about the same characters, or maybe it's more lifelike - a person or situation looms large at one point, but then things move on. It was an interesting choice, in terms of how to tell the story, but I wanted a bit more - a bit more connection between the episodes and I would've been more drawn into the book, I think.

The audio version had promise - each sister read by a different person, making it easy to tell where you are in the story. The readings were a bit flat, and the two sisters ended up sounding fairly similar (although this could have been due more to similarities in writing style for the two voices). Not a bad audio version, but not outstanding enough to recommend. Overall, though, a nice piece of fiction if you're looking for a decent novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I See You Everywhere.