Jason's Reviews > Misery

Misery by Stephen King

Mar 07, 2009

I'd never read "Misery" before, and one a whim one night I picked it up from the bookshelf (this is why we have used book sales, folks, always have books to fall back on!) and I was glad I did.

Most of us are familiar with the story by now - Best-selling author Paul Sheldon wrecks his car in Colorado, only to be "rescued" by his Number One Fan, Annie Wilkes. But Annie is more like Number One Psycho, the one fan that every famous hopes they never meet, and begins to torture Paul and forces him to write a new novel in his highly popular Misery series after killing the character off in her latest outing.

The film does the book justice, for James Caan and Kathy Bates are wonderful in it, but the book delves even deeper to the raw terror and sheer insanity of Annie Wilkes, and I think she's one of King's scariest characters he's ever written, partly because she so REAL.

The book, like much of King's work, probably isn't for the squeamish, as the torture sequences are far more brutal and frequent than in the film, but it's all to serve the story and not just gratuitous.

Misery is a quick, suspenseful read for any fan of King's work and also a good thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misery.