Theresa 's Reviews > Demon Angel

Demon Angel by Meljean Brook

Mar 26, 09

bookshelves: 2009, fantasy-pnr, tgif
Recommended for: readers who like self-pitying martyrs.
Read in January, 2009

I considered putting this book down and not finishing it with 30 pages to go to completion. What does that tell you about this book?

I have heard many good things about Meljean Brook's books so to say I was very disappointed is an understatement. This book was slow and boring... just when it would start to pick up speed with an action scene, the scene would end and back to dialogue.

The main characters, Hugh and Lilith... Hugh starts the book as a knight who then is turned in to a Guardian (think angel) and Lilith starts the book as a Halfling demon (1/2 human, 1/2 demon) who tempts humans in to sin and killing themselves to build Lucifer's (her father) army. Lilith doesn't really like her job very much, but does it anyway because her dear daddy is a creepy, sadistic, evil dude and displeasing him is worse than death. Interesting premise, yes? Well, the characters themselves ruined the book... to be more specific, HUGH ruined the book for me.

HUGH: I could not stand Hugh's character. He grated on my nerves to the point where I wanted him to die a quick, painful death and get it over with. 'Course, he's such a damn drama queen that he would've dragged his death scene out for days had he obliged me. He takes being a martyr to the nth degree and boy, did that ever get old.

LILITH: Well, she's okay, but nothing spectacular or memorable. I didn't ever really understand her obsession with Hugh which is probably because I couldn't stand him. I liked her most when she was interacting with anyone but Hugh.

The secondary characters were interesting... Colin was my favorite as the vanity-prone vampire friend of Lilith and Hugh's. Savi was pretty cool when her relationship with Hugh wasn't giving me the heebie-jeebies.

The three biggest things that annoyed me about this book: HUGH, too much dialogue, and the world building overshadowed the characters.

I'm interested in reading the book staring Colin as the main character, Demon Moon (The Guardians, Book 4) (Berkley Sensation), but it is going to be awhile before I store up my patience enough to attempt another book by this author. And when I do forget how much I didn't like this book, I'll go and borrow the book from the library.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Angel.

03/19/2009 page 40
03/24/2009 page 260
60.19% "I'm beginning to wonder if this book will ever end. It is quite the challenge to finish due to the sheer level of BORING!"
03/25/2009 page 370
85.65% "The end is in sight! Yippee!"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh wow, snap, I am about fourty pages out and I'm putting it down FOREVER. I can't take it anymore.